St. Matthew was established in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in 1863. St. Matthew's handicapped accessible church and school facilities are situated on 14 acres of land. The post office address is Hawthorn Woods, IL. The buildings on the main campus include a large church built in 1992, a two-story chapel (the old church which was built in 1949), a two-story school building, and the main parsonage. All buildings except the parsonage are connected. An additional parsonage is located nearby. The chapel and church include various ministry offices, reception, a nursery, and meeting facilities. The main church seats 600, has a large choir room, and three balconies. In addition, the main church has a full walk-out lower level which contains a formal banquet hall, a Youth Group segregated meeting area with lounge facilities and a teenage gaming area, and a large, fully-outfitted play, homework, discussion, and relaxation area for after-school care. A library and a courtyard connect the school and church buildings. The buildings also house three full kitchens, an additional banquet hall, and segregated preschool facilities.